Help and Advice

Introduction - How to Access the Housing List

This section too many of you may just equate to boredom and you will just flick through it - if you've reached this far that is. You really do need to read this and more importantly take note. We know the feeling - you've found a house that's so close to your local that you can almost get served without leaving your living room. Your room's also got a double bed, and that's all that matters, so "let's get it". Be warned, without taking time to evaluate your potential new home properly, you may live to regret making any hasty decisions.

The guide attached will show you how to access the Housing List/featured properties with University/SU via Studentpad Access the Housing list

If you have any questions/query on Studentpad – please email or call 01604 892482

Useful Student Guides and the Northampton Student Landlord Network (NSLN)

Find out about the key objectives, activities and contact details of Northampton Student Landlord Network (NSLN) by viewing our NSLN members information sheet.


Read the latest UoN Students' Guide 2021 to Private Sector Rented Accommodation FAQs (649kb docx word document)


Read our Student Housing Guidance Dos and Don'ts checklist - Student Housing Guidance (1.16mb pdf document)

What to look for

The Exterior

  • The roof looks sound, there aren't any tiles missing.
  • The gutters and pipes aren't broken or leaking.
  • The window frames aren't rotten.
  • The windows aren't broken or cracked.


The Interior

  • No signs of damp - e.g dark patches, peeling wallpaper or flaking paint.
  • Few signs of condensation such as mould on the walls.
  • There aren't any signs of pests, like slug trails and mouse droppings.


Gas & Electricity

  • The plugs don't get hot when switched on. There are plenty of sockets.
  • The wiring doesn't look old, there aren't any frayed cables.
  • The gas fire heats up properly and isn't heat stained (if it is it may be dangerous). You know when it was last serviced and have been shown the valid Gas Safety Certificate.
  • The cooker works!



  • There is hot water.
  • The taps all work properly.
  • The bath and basins aren't cracked, and the toilet flushes properly.



  • The external doors are solid with five-bar mortice locks.
  • The internal doors all have locks.
  • The windows all have locks.
  • Does it have a burglar alarm? Use your bargaining powers to get one. It is in the landlord's interest as well as your own.
  • Does it have a smoke detector?


Print out Check List


PDF Format
Word document


View our Private Sector Housing Information presentation slides (2.23mb ppt powerpoint document).

Home Safety Issues

Gas Safety Certificates

From 1st April 2009, the law requires all agents/landlords to ensure all gas appliances in a property are safe and checked annually by a person registered with the Gas Safe Register and provide each tenant with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate. If you are a new tenant, then you should be issued with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before you move in. Any gas safety record given to you after 1st April 2009 will only be valid if the engineer is registered with Gas Safe Register.

gas_safe Click on the Gas Safe logo link for more info!
The Health & Safety Executive has a Gas Safety Advice line on
0800 300363
In the event of an emergency call
0800 111999



Many agents/landlords may hold a NICEIC certificate which proves that the property has had an electrical check within the last five years. Although this is recommended, it is not a legal requirement.


Fire Safety - Furniture and Furnishings

On 1 January 1997 the final phase of the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 came into force. This means that furniture and furnishings supplied in let accommodation must comply with the fire and safety requirements in the Regulations. All residential premises including flats, bedsits and houses where furniture is supplied as part of the let are covered by these regulations. The type of furniture covered by the regulations are: any upholstered furniture including chairs, sofas, children's furniture, beds, head boards (if upholstered), mattresses, scatter cushions, seat pads, pillows and even garden furniture if it is upholstered and can be used in the dwelling. Carpets, curtains and duvets are not covered by the regulations.


Carbon Monoxide

If you have gas appliances in your house, Carbon Monoxide is a possible danger. It's invisible and odourless, but it can kill.


Watch out for.....


  • Gas flames that burn orange or yellow rather than blue.
  • Sooty stains on or around your appliances.
  • Solid fuels that burn slowly or go out.

Know the symptoms....

  • Unexplained drowsiness.
  • Giddiness when standing up.
  • Headaches.
  • Sickness and Diarrhoea.
  • Chest pains.
  • Unexplained stomach pains.

Carbon Monoxide? Be Alarmed! Campaign

In October 2008, the Carbon Monoxide Consumer Awareness Alliance launched a new national campaign aimed at cutting the number of deaths and injuries caused by Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Click here for more information on the Carbon Monoxide? Be Alarmed! Campaign

Your browser does not support inline frames or is currently configured not to display inline frames.

Household Costs



  • Clarify what is included in your rent. For instance, some agents/landlords include water rates, others don't.
  • If possible, ask the previous tenants the rough cost of gas, electricity and water.
  • Take readings of the relevant meters as soon as you can once the last tenants have left.
  • Change the bills to your name with the relevant suppliers from the time you move in.....decide whether joint names will be put on the bills or if the responsibility will be divided.




  • Don't think of doing without it - the number of burglaries and thefts in student houses is rising!
  • Shop around to find the right insurance package for your requirements.
  • Make sure that you're covered over the vacations.


Council Tax


  • Properties where all the occupants are full-time students will be exempt. You may be asked to produce a certificate giving evidence of your student status; this certificate will be obtainable from your faculty office after you have registered on your course.
  • If one or more of the occupants of your house is not a student the house becomes taxable so you must clarify whether you are expected to pay anything towards the cost.
  • If you are unsure about your status with regard to Council Tax then seek advice from your Student Advice Centre.


TV Licence


If you do get a knock on the door you'll no doubt have discussed the fait accompli. "I'll just say I thought that you'd got one", or "We don't need one cos we're students" or "We only watch ITV". The response will, of course, be "Oh, sorry Sir/Madam I didn't realise. I apologise for disturbing you. I'll let you get back to EastEnders". If you want the lowdown on the real facts, they are as follows. Students are covered by the same licensing requirements as the rest of the population. A licence will be needed by a student living in halls, a bedsit or a flat. If you live in a shared house one licence is needed per house as long as you have a joint tenancy agreement. If you have separate agreements with the agent/landlord you will need separate licences. If you want more information then contact

Tenancy Agreements

Tenancy Agreements


You can now view a copy of our Sample tenancy agreement (233kb pdf opens in new window) .

Your Rights

Your Agent/Landlord is responsible for........


  • Keeping in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling house, including drains, gutters, and external pipes.
  • Keeping in repair and proper working order the installations for the supply of water, gas, and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, and for heating rooms and heating water.
  • Providing a rent book if statute so requires (e.g. where the rent is paid weekly).
  • Providing you with the agents/landlords full name and address.
  • Providing you with a copy of the valid current Gas Safety Certificate (see Standards).
  • Allowing you to "peacefully enjoy" your accommodation (unless there is an emergency).
  • Agents/Landlords have the right to enter the property at reasonable times to carry out the repairs for which they are responsible and to inspect the condition and the state of repair of the property. They must give at least 24 hours notice in writing of an inspection. It would be helpful to set out the arrangements for access and procedures for getting repairs done in the tenancy agreement.
  • Providing you with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)


You are responsible for.........


  • Acting in a "Tenant-like manner". This means you should perform the smaller tasks around the house such as mending the electric light when a fuse blows; unblocking the sink when clogged with waste, cleaning the windows when necessary.
  • Not damaging the house, if you do then you and your guests are responsible for the repairs.
  • Refuse collection! Remember to find out the collection day from your local council. Put the wheelie bin out - and bring it back in again - it's illegal to leave it on the street.
  • Securing the property when you go away - lock all the doors and windows!
  • Being reasonable about noise and parties - weekends are better and let your neighbours know in advance.
  • Reporting all repairs needed to the agent/landlord (preferably in writing). The agent's/landlord's responsibility to repair begins only when they are aware of the problem. If the fault is not corrected within a reasonable period of time (dependent upon the nature of the disrepair) then seek advice from the Students Union Advice Centre/ Accommodation Office or Citizen's Advice.


Harassment and Unlawful Eviction


If your agent/landlord wants you to leave your house then a legal process must be complied with before you can be evicted. This will include a written notice and applying to the Court for a possession order. If you are evicted without the Agent/Landlord following the correct procedure then the agent/landlord is committing a criminal offence. In addition, if the agent/landlord (or someone acting on their behalf) interferes with your peace or comfort either with unannounced visits, by not fulfilling his/her responsibilities for basic repairs (as listed above), disconnecting utility supplies etc. then this may amount to harassment which is a criminal offence.

If you are in danger of eviction or suffering from harassment by your agent/landlord then contact the Student Union Advice Centre, your local Council's Housing Advice Team, or your Council's Anti-Social Behaviour Team. Citizen's Advice also produce a booklet entitled "Protection Against Harassment and Unlawful Eviction".

Student Safety Advice

We would always recommend viewing a property in person, rather than relying on the information on the web. You will need to check that the landlord and the property are bona fide. We would never recommend transferring any monies to anyone before doing so in person.  For your own personal safety, it is always advisable for you to view a property accompanied and try to arrange the appointment at a reasonable hour. However, there are advantages to viewing it after dark so that you can get an idea of how you will feel when walking home at night. It is important that you contact your University advice centre if you feel that you were in any way subjected to sexism or harassment during the appointment.




Here are a few pointers in checking the security of the property.

  • Is the property in a 'good' area?
  • Is the property set back from the road? Is the street lighting sufficient?
  • Are the front and rear doors solid?
  • Have the doors got five lever mortice locks?
  • Is there a chain on the door? If not, can the agent/landlord fit one?
  • Are the curtains of your room see-through? Insist on thicker ones if they are.

Understanding Damp & Mould

Fire Advice for Student Accommodation

Tenancy Deposit Law



You will normally be required to pay a deposit to the agents/landlords as security in case you damage the property or furnishings. It can also be used to cover unpaid bills, rent or missing items. Most agents/landlords will ask for a sum equivalent to four weeks' or a calendar month's rent but the maximum a agent/landlord can charge by law is a sixth of the annual rent payable in England and Wales and two months rent in Scotland. In order to ensure that you get your deposit back:

  • Ensure that you have a written statement from the agent/landlord explaining what is covered by the deposit. If the agent/landlord gives a verbal explanation, write to him/her to confirm the details.
  • Ensure that you have a receipt for monies paid.
  • Ensure that you have a full inventory of furniture. Get the agent/landlord to sign it. You may wish to take photographs.
  • Take reasonable care of the house and furniture during the tenancy.
  • Towards the end of your tenancy write to the agent/landlord inviting him/her to inspect the property.
  • Settle all the bills.
  • When you leave return all the keys to the agent/landlord and make a written request for the return of your deposit. Keep a copy of the letter.


Tenancy Deposit Scheme


From April 2007, deposits paid by tenants who have assured shorthold tenancy agreements will be safeguarded by a government sponsored scheme, who will facilitate the resolution of any disputes that arise in connection with such deposits.

There are two types of scheme

  • Custodial Scheme - a tenant pays the deposit to the agent/landlord who in turn places it into a designated scheme account. When the scheme administrator returns the deposit to either the tenant or the agent/landlord it is done so with interest at a rate specified by the Government. If they are not in agreement, a final court order will have to be obtained specifying the proportion of the deposit to which each is entitled.
  • Insurance based schemes - a tenant pays the deposit to the agent/landlord who only transfers it into a designated scheme if there is a dispute at the end of the agreement. When the agent/landlord and tenant reach agreement or a court decides how much each party is entitled the administrator will distribute the deposit accordingly.

If an agent/landlord fails to pay the deposit to the scheme then a scheme will have adequate insurance cover to compensate the tenant in the event they are owed monies.

Within 30 days of receiving your deposit your agent/landlord must give you the relevant information regarding the scheme safeguarding your deposit. You should always check that the scheme has received your deposit.

More information can be found at




These are paid to the agent/landlord by prospective tenants. The retainer period forms part of the contract (typically July to August) when the student is unlikely to want to occupy and the agent/landlord may wish to carry out certain maintenance works to the property. The normal retainer payment is 50% of the per calendar month rent.

For Summer retainer payments – always check with your landlord/landlady before signing the tenancy agreement.

Protect your deposit with the new tenancy deposit law


Points to Note: England and Wales only

You usually have to pay a deposit if you want to rent somewhere, but as you probably know, it’s not always easy to get it back when you leave. At the moment, the only way to try and get a deposit back if you have a disagreement with your agent/landlord is to go to court. But this can be costly, time-consuming and there is no guarantee that you'll get anything back at all. However, from 6 April 2007, your agent/landlord will have to use a new tenancy deposit protection scheme if they want to take a deposit from you. This means that:

  • you will get your deposit back if you're entitled to it.
  • there will be a way of settling any disagreement about your deposit without going to court.


What if my agent/landlord does not protect my deposit?


If your agent/landlord doesn’t protect your deposit, or refuses to tell you which scheme they are using, you can take them to court. The court may either order your agent/landlord to pay you back the deposit or to pay it into one of the schemes available. It may also order your agent/landlord to pay you between 1 to 3 times the amounts of the deposit as a fine.


What if I paid a deposit before April 2007?


Unfortunately, agents/landlords don't have to use a tenancy deposit protection scheme if you paid your deposit to them before 6 April 2007. If you have a disagreement with them about returning your deposit, try to come to an agreement. If that doesn’t work, you may have to take legal action. But remember, before you take your agent/landlord to court, you should get some expert advice.

If you’d like to find out more about the new Tenancy Deposit Law, Click here

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

What is an EPC?


The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives home owners, tenants and buyers information on the energy efficiency of their property. It gives the building a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’, where ‘A’ is the most efficient and with the average to date being D.

In addition to the rating for your buildings current energy performance, part of the EPC report will list the potential rating that the building could achieve (using the same ‘A’ to ‘G’ scale), if the recommendations that are provided within the report were to be made. It is not mandatory for anyone to act on the report’s recommendations. However, doing so may cut your energy bills and reduce your carbon emissions.


Who needs an EPC?


As a tenant moving into a property, or as a buyer looking to purchase, it is the legal requirement of the existing owner to provide you with a full Energy Performance Certificate, free of charge. This law comes into effect after 1st October 2008.

Agents/Landlords and owners are only required to produce an EPC for a property that is self-contained, and the certificate is then valid for 10 years. However, an EPC isn’t required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities.

A group of friends rent a property and there is a single contract between the agent/landlord and the group as the contract is for the rental of a whole dwelling. An EPC is required for the whole dwelling.

For further information, please visit the government EPC website here.


What is an inventory?


It is not uncommon for tenants not to receive a copy of inventory from their landlords when first moving into their new house.

An inventory can be extremely useful evidence of the condition of the property when you first move in. It provides a full inspection of the property’s contents and their condition.

If you aren’t supplied with an inventory by your Landlord or Letting Agent, don't hesitate to ask for one. If you still don’t receive one, provide them with your own. You do this by making a list of the contents room by room, and then take photos or use video evidence to record the property contents and condition as back up.

The Landlord/Agent and tenant(s) should both sign the Inventory and initial every page to indicate that you agree to the condition of the property contents and condition.

If at all possible, the final inventory check should be done on move out day and checked against the original inventory. This should ensure that there aren't any disputes about the extent of any damage, should there be some, as the landlord may need to take monies out of the deposit to pay for these.


When compiling an inventory it is essential that you:


  • Describe the condition of every item within the property.
  • Back it up with photographic/video evidence.
  • Take a note of the gas and electric meter readings.
  • Get the landlord/agent to agree to, and sign the inventory.
  • Keep a safe copy of the signed inventory to check against when moving out.
Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)


The Housing Act 2004, which was introduced in April 2006 in England and Wales was created with the intention of providing a fairer and better housing market for those renting properties. The main elements of it include;


a) Licensing of houses in multiple occupation


A house with three of more stories, occupied by 5 or more people who form 2 or more households (a household being defined as persons belonging to the same family) is classified as an HMO in England and Wales and subject to licensing. The licensing is intended to improve standards in properties where it was felt tenants where at highest risk. Any building, which is occupied by students but managed or controlled by a Higher Education Institution, is deemed not to be an HMO for licensing purposes. Local authorities have at their discretion, but subject to approval from national government, the power to designate other sizes of properties as HMO’s, which are subject to licensing.


More information can be found at


b) Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)


This is a new system, replacing the "fitness standard for houses", and decides whether a house is healthy and safe. Local council staff will randomly inspect properties and assess the likelihood of injury or ill health calculated via 29 hazards.


More information can be found at


In Scotland the Licensing Order makes it mandatory from October 2000 for all HMOs to be licensed. To be classified as a licensable HMO the accommodation must be the only or principle residence of a specified number of people who are not members either of the same family or one or other of two families. The specified number started on 1st October 2000 at six or more and is reducing annually until it reaches its minimum level, i.e. three or more. Students in accommodation that is an HMO in term time are treated as being solely or principally resident there in order to calculate the number of occupiers of an HMO.


Read our HMO Guidance sheet (pdf 1.88mb opens in a new window)



Carbon Monoxide Kills Carbon Monoxide Kills
Citizen Advice Bureau Housing guide for England Citizen Advice Bureau Housing guide for England
Communities and Local Government - Housing Communities and Local Government - Housing
Safety Shaun Health and Safety Videos
#ssNav# #ssStage#
Are you in Rent Arrears- 6 Steps to follow?
Private Tenancies - Your rights if you are renting your home from a Private landlord
The 29 Housing Hazards
Planet Too
What is a Guarantor? – living in Private Sector Housing

Student Housing - Using a Guarantor

To obtain a Housing Guarantor in UK visit the Housing Hand website.

What to bring to Uni - One stop shop!
Family lets in Northampton

If you are looking for accommodation for you and a non-student partner or family whilst you’re studying, it’s worth checking out Local letting Agent in Northampton” for suitable family let properties.

Housing Hand Guarantor in UK

Housing Hand are available to assist students that need a UK guarantor. Getting a guarantor is sometimes needed if you are not able to pay the full rent in advance to secure your accommodation, and occasionally you may still need a guarantor even if you do pay your rent in advance.

For more information, visit the